- Esi Edugyan: Half Blood Blues - Canadian , 2nd Novel
- Anne Enright: The Forgotten - Irish, 5th Novel
- Georgina Harding: Painter of Silence - British, 3rd Novel
- Madeline Miller: The Song of Achilles - American, 1st Novel
- Cynthia Ozick: Foreign Bodies - American, 7th Novel
- Ann Patchett: State of Wonder - American, 6th Novel
The Prize was set up in 1996 to celebrate and promote fiction by women throughout the world to the widest range of readers possible and is awarded for the best novel of the year written by a woman.